Thursday, July 12, 2012

Radical Tonsilectomy and..

Just getting home to rest and relax from my radical tonsilectomy. The surgeons ended up having to take a piece of my tongue out too. (which they didn't know unti going back, and after the tonsil was out) 

Granted, its not half of it, but a portion none the less. They had to do this to ensure the Cancer doesn't spread into my tongue. 

The procedure went well, then I had a few hours stay in the Post Anesthesia Care Unit. (PACU)

I wasn't really a fan of my visit to PACU this time, as I didn't get to see Sheila, or my Dad for couple more hours.  My Dad drove 3 1/2 hours one way, so I understood him having to be back.

The staff wheeled me to the Short Stay unit where I was taken to my room for the night.

The entire staff took excellent care of me, and because I was in tremendous pain, my nurses spent some a lot of time ensuring I was pain free. (most of the other patients were pretty stable from what I was told.)

There was a little bit of a really scary moment for me the first hour I was there.  

My nurse received orders from the Dr. to start me on an anti-biotic.  The issue was, I couldn't really swallow. Every time I tried small sips of water, it was like I was drowning. (since half of my throat is swollen from the procedure, I have to learn how to swallow again)

The RN handed me one pill first, and I thought...hmm...how's THIS getting down there, if I can't swallow?

I had a sip of water before taking the pill and once I tried to swallow, I then started choking on the pill and water.  (and that was when the panic set in.) 

My poor wife Sheila was right next to me too and had to watch that horrible experience go down, knowing she couldn't help me.  I couldn't look at her, but could hear her cry and saw her praying from the corner of my eye.  I was so crushed she had to witness this..  : \ 

After a few"back percussions" I was able to relax knowing I had actually gotten it back and could breathe again. (no bull shit though, I was pretty scared and I can't imagine what Sheila went through. I thought they were going to have to take extensive measures.)

At that moment, the nurse apologized profusely and they would now crush my pills into apple sauce or ice cream. 

Around 930pm, we heard the jackhammers begin their concerto of destruction. They went all night long, maybe stopping for 2 one hour breaks. UVA has been expanding their parking garage and that  noise that pretty much ruined our chances of a good sleep.

I asked my night RN Dawn, "Jackhammers, really at 1030pm?"  I thought this was a hospital and everyone needed QUIET in order to rest from having their chest cracked open, brain surgery, new Mommies to be, etc..etc.. I guess some of ''the suits'', dont' take into mind about the sick people at their facility needing PEACE AND QUIET.  (its all about the $$$$ though people, Im sure you knew that already..)

Once I received my 2nd sleep aide for the night, Dawn brought us ear plugs, which allowed us to get about 3-4 hours of sleep.

I have to give praise and Thanks to the Short Stay Unit at UVA, and their entire staff.

All of my RNs ( Yes, even the one who thought I was ready for a hard pill and more water, when I wasn't.)  I'd also like to thank the Speech Lang Pathologist who taught me a new way to swallow, and Dr. Robinson who was also in with the surgical team during the procedure. 

Ill be resting at home and my follow up appt with Dr. Jameson is set for 7/19 to get me scheduled for my neck dissection surgery. 

To be continued..

Thank you for following my story.  Its so touching to see such support, and on a global scale too.

Means so much to me!

 Tony 

2 comments:

  1. Thinking of you and sending you all sorts of super charged healing vibes, buddy! love to you and sheila.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the support and <3 my BFF. I can feel the vibes too. :)

    ReplyDelete