Sunday, July 1, 2012

Confirmation of Cancer and the first surgical procedure--find the root.

After spending 7 extra days trapped in a mental prison, Dr. Levine confirmed from the panel biopsy review, that I did have Cancer, and now it was time to find the root of it.


It could be in a few different areas he had explained. My throat, tongue, esophagus, nose, or tonsils. 


On Monday, June 18th, I went under for an exploratory surgical procedure to continue the search.


I have to admit, I was scared shitless, and still am a little.  I've never had a major operation before and their team couldn't have been more graceful, professional, personable, and caring.


Sue, one of the OR nurses came in to introduce herself, right before Meg, the Anesthesia nurse came in to give me my surgical cocktail. She stood at my side and told me that every child, boy, or man who went into her suite, was her son, and she'd let nothing bad ever happen to them...Then she smiled and told me I was her son.


I started to cry, but felt her energy embrace me, as if it were my own mother's. The tears stopped.


I kissed Sheila, said a quick prayer and what felt like only a second later, I was gone. (Thank you for that great cocktail, nurse Meg.)


They told me I would be really sore afterwards, that sherbert, popsicles, water, medicine for pain, and plenty of rest would become my new friends. 



Dr. Levine did find the root of the Cancer in my R tonsil without having to excavate the rest of my mouth and neck for biopsy cultures, luckily. He removed a portion that has since tested positive, and there is the root of my problem. 


I will say, it felt like someone had put a cigar out in the back of my throat and talking for extended periods were uncomfortable. Not to mention, swallowing was like fire.




To be continued..



No comments:

Post a Comment