Thursday, July 19, 2012

Neck Dissection Surgery set.


 Just back from my visit to UVA. I have some great news to share with you all. 

  Dr. Shonka told me today, that the post surgery tonsilectomy/tongue labs have confirmed, the Cancer didn't go down into any additional nerves, blood vessels, tissue., bone, etc. 

 WAHH HOO!!!     :)

 I am going back for neck dissection on 7/27.  

 There is a chance, I'll have to be in the OR longer if I bleed a lot. (hopefully not with how my luck has been.) 

 My R arm will require PT. My fingers might not work for a bit either. There is a chance I could get an infection too. (obviously being in a hospital, not worried though)

This neck surgery, should be easier than the Hell I am still in now. 

 It'll hurt, but they said it should be more manageable for me as far as pain goes. I'll wake up in the ICU, that way they can monitor me more on a consistent basis. 

I'll probably be in the hospital for a few days before going home to rest.

Still can't get any real substantial amount of solid food down. The 1/2 scrambled egg on Tuesday went down ok. Yesterday's Egg not so well..

 I tried home made mashed potatoes last night for dinner, that Sheila made with evaporated milk to make more creamy and got about 4 bites down before ''tapping out''.  

 My Dr. said I can skip solids for now, and as long as I drink my Ensure's, I will be set for surgery.  (the milk chocolate flavor is amazing, I probably won't have vanilla anything for a long time...I'm so over that flavor and it's been my favorite for years.) 

3 comments:

  1. AWESOME to hear that the Cancer did not make its way anywhere else!!!!!!! Keep on keepin on buddy! <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was so relieved when the Dr. told me. It was an amazing feeling and I felt a good amount of weight lift right off of me.

    I thanked God as soon as I got in the car and was on the way home. :) <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know exactly how you feel,man. I was in the dark for about 4 or 5 days before I knew the extent of my cancer. It was the worst days of my life, not knowing if I am going to live another year or however long.

    ReplyDelete