Friday, July 6, 2012

Oh the people you'll meet along the way..

When I had my first appointment with Dr. Levine at UVA, I noticed a spry man in his late 50's-early 60's, wearing a red vest, who appeared to work in the office, assisting patients. He has a certain glow about him that is as magnetic, as his personality.


Aside from the red vest, I noticed he had a few tattoos that we're exposed and in the open environment of the waiting room. (Which shows how far America has come with Tattoo acceptance in the workplace, and I salute UVA for being an open-minded and progressive health care system.)


He was Welcoming patients back into the area to take them to see their respected MDs, with a hearty and spirited, "Welcome to Walmart!!" (Laughs would ensue every time he did this. A room full of people holding onto a glimmer of hope getting a break from their own personal cancers, to laugh and smile.)




I didn't see him after a while, but saw him the next time I came for my pre-surgery interview.


He walked up and introduced himself as Larry, and said he'd walk me to the lab for a blood specimen collection. He mentioned seeing me last time with Sheila, and said it was so nice to see other people with tattoos coming to the clinic for care and inquired about them.


I remember he then told me he had heard about me, and that I was going to be ok. He told me he knew it because Dr. Levine saved his life 20 years earlier when he had neck cancer.


He then says, "Here have a look at this", and pulls his shirt collar down just a little. Right below his collar bone, pointing toward his neck a tattoo says, "Dr. Paul Levine was here." and it listed the year he had been cleared, 1995. 


 What a great idea, and the tattoo was a stencil of Levine's signature too.


Larry then went on to explain that after Dr. Levine saved him, he created a PT program for Cancer patients (and who better, right?, than a 20 year Survivor.) and now gives back by helping the patients at the clinic.


He also got real with me and told me about the hell I am going to walk through to get to Paradise. 


I'll be on an emotional roller coaster once I start radiation. I'll be weak, and will need to make sure to eat as much as I can between treatments to keep my strength.  By the 4th week of being irradiated, he mentioned I won't want any more...The RAD dept will call Larry...he'll talk to me for 30 min...we'll cry...and then, he'll kick my ass back into focus and gear.  


He advised keeping a positive mental attitude and my eyes focused on the finish line will get me through the treatment process. I have his home # and can call him anytime, except "No calls past 10pm!"  


I think I might call one night at 10:30, just to poke a sleeping bear, see how riled up I can get him.  


 "Hey Walmart door greeter, wake that ass up old man!"   :) 


When I have neck dissection surgery a few weeks from now, my Right arm is going to experience some trauma due to the operation. It will be Larry's job to rehab that arm for me.  


To be Continued..



No comments:

Post a Comment