Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Swinging at a curve ball..

Sometimes life throws us curve balls, and I just had one pitched to me.

I just received 3 appointment notices in the mail today for 8:15, 8:40, and 9:15 for September 11th, on different floors in the Cancer clinic where I'll be receiving Chemo and Radiation treatments.


I phoned the RN in the Rad dept who is assigned to me to find out what was going on. Her name is Mary and she is a real sweetheart who cares about her patients. 

Because of the labor day holiday falling on a weekend this year, I won't get to begin my radiation/chemo treatment until the 11th. 

Mary told me they want to make sure I am 100% healed, because if I am not, the chemo and rad will really slow that process down and it won't be good for me. 

Sheila tried to warn me this might happen, but I just figured with Tues-Fri still in that work week, we'd have time to get the show on the road, as the saying goes...

I have to honestly admit, it all caught me off guard and I did breakdown.  : ( 

Mary told me it would be ok, and soon it would be over and I would be able to forget all of them, forever.

I told her through tears that I never wanted to forget any of them, because they've taken such amazing care of me.  

(Especially not judging me for my appreciation and collection of tattoos. I can't harp on that enough. They really do love you unconditionally at UVA health, whereas others have taken one look and out come the gavels of judgement!!)   

I thanked Mary, got off the phone, grabbed my Yoga blocks, and did my breathing technique to calm myself. 

It really helped. Within 2-3 minutes, I felt a lot better about things.  : ) 

God bless!








No comments:

Post a Comment