Sunday, October 28, 2012

Back home and a Fever.

On Friday I had my final radiation treatment. I couldn't wait to get off of that table. I had a change of heart and told them I didn't want to keep the mask after all. 

I want to be able to put all of this in the rear view and not have any reminders of that hell. I'm still going through it with the pain and recovery. 

Last night got real interesting. Around 9pm, I started to develop a Fever and it was almost 102 degrees.

I can't believe I made it through all the radiation and those doses of chemo and now get a Fever...

Called the on call MD who told me that if it got any worse, or if I got chills again (I had them for 15 min), or just felt like something was wrong, to head to the ER. 

I immediately jumped on taking some Children's liquid Ibuprofen and downed two bottles of spring water. 

Once Sheila made it home around 1045pm, I re took my temperature around 11:15pm and Thank God, it had gone down to 100 deg.  

I set my alarm for 130am, woke up with that cool, sweaty feeling on my chest and back and just knew the fever had broken.

Checked it and it sure did, was right back to 98 degrees. Can't tell you how relieved I was and feeling better.

It was odd, the right combination of pain meds actually took all of my throat pain away during the Fever. I haven't drank water that quickly (by sipping, not chugging) since before starting radiation. The nuke-spit makes even water taste gross. I switch back and forth between that and Gatorade. It helps.

The pain was right back on me though, come 6:30am today, in full regalia, and kicking the crap out of my throat, even after pain control.  

I have to keep drinking water, but do it minimally, as the pain of swallowing is just too much. 

At least the radiation sun burn is starting to calm itself.  I'll take any break I can. 

Hurricane Sandy is on her way to bring forth some serious wind and rain. The news reports say our area is guaranteed to lose power. Its going to really suck for us if it does. 

I wish we had a generator now, but they're way to expensive for the budget Im currently on. Once I get back to work, I think I'm going to invest in one. 

Especially if we get hit with a bad winter this year, after being spared last year.


No comments:

Post a Comment