Saturday, November 3, 2012

One week of recovery behind me...

Well, it's been one week since my last radiation treatment. I am still feeling pretty crappy. In addition to spitting up saliva and mucus all day long, my nose is constantly running or drying up. 

Sometimes, I try to blow my nose and its like nothing comes out, but it still continues to feel wet, like I NEED to blow my nose. 

The spitting really is out of control. The mucus is much worse and I pretty much am gagging and nearly choking on it I can't get it out of me fast enough. Its so gross. 

I've notice a few times there's a little blood mixed in too. Nothing too alarming, but I've noticed when I feel a rough type of pain, the phlegm will have some blood with it. 

I can imagine my throat and mouth have begun their repairs. The Doctors told me that radiation effects everyone different, but the common denominator is that when you get hit with it, its a few days later where you feel the effects of it.

Being one week out, I can only assume that the repairs are underway and my body's defenses have kicked into gear. 

Another unpleasant side effect is my body's temperature, or should I say my body's external temperature. 

I feel cold all of the time.  I could have a shirt on, sweater over that, and still feel like I need to wear a sweatshirt over that. Its crazy. 

 Last night, I couldn't get in the shower fast enough and if my body was out of the range of the water, I would begin to feel cold. 

Once out of the shower, I couldn't get dry fast enough or a robe put on before I felt as if I were freezing and then into my pajamas to begin to wind down for bed.

8 days out...Im due back to see Dr. Read on election day for a follow up, since I've been in such pain. 

Im going to ask about these other side effects. 

I am really looking forward to seeing how I fare next weekend. Hopefully I'll be feeling much more better. 

Its a slow burn recovering from being burned in your head and neck for 6 weeks, low dose or not. This radiation therapy has cleaned my clock. 

Staying positive though. 




No comments:

Post a Comment