Saturday, October 20, 2012

Radiation sunburn.

The skin on my neck is super unhappy.  When you receive radiation to your body over a period of time you get whats called "Radiation Sunburn".   Its horribly uncomfortable, painful, itchy and has to be kept moist with lotion all day long.

One downside is, I can't have any lotion on my neck when I go in to receive the dose of radiation. My neck has to be clean and dry.  This isn't a huge deal when Im going Tues-Fri, but my Monday appointments are in the afternoon, so I can't put any on until after 3pm.  

The skin starts to dry and crack open without anything on. 

It looks like I have sun poisoning on my skin in the areas just above my collarbone. The skin on the Right side is faring worse because I receive more radiation on the side that had the cancer in it.

I have a medium sized circle on my Left side that is puffy and red. Sheila mentioned it looked leathery. If you look at the other side closely, it looks like I was burned by fire, the way the top layer of skin is missing from a few parts of the area. 

I have to be careful of how warm the water in the shower gets. Too hot of a temperature and Im in big trouble. 

Only 5 more sessions left. Im getting more and more anxious as I approach the end. The past 6 weeks, let alone 4 months have been hell. I need a break from all of the poking, prodding, palpating, injecting, radiating, etc.. 

I sit and think of how amazing it is I haven't gone temporarily mad from it all. 

Because I can see how a lot of people do.




No comments:

Post a Comment