Friday, September 21, 2012

Patchwork pain and the ringing..

Just back from week #2 of radiation. I lost an appointment this week (Thurs) due to the Tomo machine having issues. Better it has issues while I'm not inside of it I suppose..

They'll have to add an extra dose at the end to make up for it. I'm crossing my fingers it doesn't keep happening. Each time it does, there's one more dose that will have to be made up.

On Wed, the team was having trouble getting me calibrated during the initial scan and had to scan me 3 times. I was inside of the mask for about 20 min before I finally lined up correctly with the lasers for my  7 min dose. 

I was patient, but it did get a little tense for a second. I remember telling one of the techs, Uhh, ok, Imma need a break here in a second to regroup. To which the reply was, No, we can't give you a break...

(that hit home for a second and I sprinted to my happy place as fast as I could, pushing the anxiety around the room and out of my way)

One positive at least was, they had a nice boombox in the corner and Bob Marley's Greatest hits on CD  on hand. I asked them to cue it up and let that fucker roll. 

ahhh....

Once the treatment was over, I headed back for my mid morning breakfast and a small nap..

That's when the patchwerk pain decided to show up.

I was in the midst of a light nap when all of a sudden I was awoken by what I can only describe as being struck by lighting, or what it must closely feel like. 

This pain came out of no where, into my neck and arched down into and past my collar bone. It literally felt like electricity was being conducted through my body.

I could only scream out, and to no one for help. I was alone. 

The pain came and went like a rolling storm and lasted for a minute. It was the longest 60 seconds of my life I think. 

There wouldn't be any further napping at that point, so I elected to do a few laps up and down Paw-paw's graveled driveway, walking slowly under a beautiful canopy of trees.  

Luckily, the pain hasn't come back since then. I am not looking forward to when it does either. It was brutal.

I described the pain to my RN Mary Ann and she went and grabbed Dr. Ortcutt for me. Once I explained it to him, he actually told me it was a good thing this had happened. (really? sure wasn't goodtimes for me!)

He explained that that pain was the first of my nerve endings waking back up and beginning to repair themselves.  I told him that pain was very different from the earlier nerve pains I had experienced after the dissection surgery, and he further concurred that it was and will be. 

The Dr. said the pains would come back in whats called--Patchwork patterns. (awesome.....)

I am still getting the ringing in my ears from the chemo treatments which, isn't much fun at all and start to almost drive me mad sometimes. Its not all day, but comes and goes as it pleases.  

Sheila's grandparents have this yorkie named Oliver, who hasn't been fixed yet, and the fucking dog just barks and barks and barks.  I know they won't have his balls removed before I'm done, so a lot of time, I rest in my room and either nap, or watch DVDs. 

My ears are more sensitive than you could imagine. Loud noises are not fun. 

Week 2 down, 4 to go plus one extra dose at the end..Next round of chemo is set for Oct 5th. 

Can't wait! (yes, I am being overly sarcastic..Chemo sucks and I am real lucky to only have to receive so much of it.)

Have to give a HUGE shout to Dr. Read on the Rad Onc unit. I found out he buys cases of Ensure with his own money and gives them to us patients for free!!  

Can the man be any nicer?  

I mean, each of these docs is destined for Sainthood I tell you.  Ensure isn't cheap by any stretch, and he is saving his patients a lot of money and time, with this amazing act of generosity, humanity, and love. 

Thanks so much Dr. Read! God Bless you sir! 

See you soon. If I get to the facility early, I might log on here and there to post a new entry on their wifi.


2 comments:

  1. "He explained that that pain was the first of my nerve endings waking back up and beginning to repair themselves. I told him that pain was very different from the earlier nerve pains I had experienced after the dissection surgery, and he further concurred that it was and will be."

    I know that the pain you are enduring SUCKS but I was happy upon reading that your nerves are beginning to wake back up, I just wish there wasn't so much pain associated with it. You're strong and I know I don't have to keep telling you that, yet I do...

    I feel you on the ringing in the ears. I've had that for about 7 years now, undiagnosed to this day. The frequency to which I hear particular things it's excruciating and in the beginning it almost brought me to taking an ice pick to my ear holes. As the years have gone on I've learned to live with it, doesn't mean I'm okay with by any means. Some have said it's just another example of being tuned into the universe but honestly mate, I'd rather be a little less tuned in if it meant not having a constant ringing in my bloody ears.

    I'm glad that you updated your blog today, I've been checking here and there so it was nice to read your words today.

    Row and I miss you and we think about you daily. Keep on fitting brother, you got this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My PT Larry told me something that I repeated to myself a few times, once I was free from the throes of it all...(its tatt'd on his arm too) "Pain is weakness leaving the body.."

    No qualms with hearing I am strong from people I love. It helps reinforce the armor when it draws a kink in it.

    I didn't know you suffered from ringing in your ears. It really is a trip. Im getting adjusted to it. If the frequency wasn't so pitchy, I think it would be easier to deal with. The worst is when it hits me before bedtime.

    Going to try to update the blog more when I can. I feel so tapped out after my dose, and hungry, I want to get back to Paw-paw's for food and a nap.

    I'll be making another entry before heading back down on Monday.

    I miss you both so much and you're also in my daily thoughts. Say hello to Mei ling for us. (and the Frederick's too, when you see them. I miss my Becky squeezes!!!) ;]

    ReplyDelete